Wednesday, July 23, 2008

stressed

i feel stressed, first time because of my family....
when my dad first told me he's retiring, my first thought was actually concerning his life after retirement, he's not a very socially active person, doesn't have friends around, and his life for all these years, were actually committed fully to work and family, long before this coming day, my mom and i had once discussed on this matter, what's his life going to be after retirement, when half of his time a day suddenly is emptied....
i don't have to be an expert to be able to imagine the situation like, some men, those who are seriously inactive other than his own career, can get into severe depression after retiring....
my dad started working since 11 or 12 years old according to him, that was when he's back from school he would go help in grandpa's farm, until he graduated form college and started his own career, more than 40 years that he's never been "free" literally, he admitted that indeed he's a bit unadapted to the situation, feels a bit blue recently, and even without him saying that, my mum and i can easily feel it, and what a coincidence that my youngest sister just left home for further studies few weeks ago, which means 2 days later when i'll go back to NUS, mum and dad will be alone at home. I'm not worried about them not being able to take care of themselves physically, but just, mum's got 8 years more before taking that big step of life, while my dad is, inevitably taking it in few days time...
he'll help in my aunt's nursery, temporarily, as a driver, he also talked to a few colleagues, hoping to locate probably a job, a less stressful one, of course not so well paid one....
financial wise, he assured me that mum and him have no problem supporting 3 of us till graduation. Of course i do believe in their financial planning very much, but it wasn't difficult for me to sense that, there's still something that they're concern regarding financial stuff, my dad's drug is costing an amount every month, and having family income deducted by half just make them a little insecure, at least for this beginning stage.....
which makes me think of the next thing, i, as the eldest son, will have the responsibility to support the family....mum and dad has never mentioned anything about that, but seeing a sudden change in my family, i feel a huge burden resting on my shoulder suddenly, something that never has crossed my mind, and it's coming very soon.....

No comments: